Australia: MH370 likely on autopilot with unresponsive crew in flight's final stage

MH370 search moves farther south
MH370 search moves farther south

    JUST WATCHED

    MH370 search moves farther south

MUST WATCH

MH370 search moves farther south 05:08

Story highlights

  • Crew may have been in an "unresponsive" state, Australian authorities say
  • Plane was likely on autopilot when it flew into the Indian Ocean, officials say
  • The next phase of the search will move to an area farther south in the Indian Ocean
  • The area is the "most likely place where the aircraft is resting," an Australian official says

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 likely flew into the southern Indian Ocean on autopilot with an unresponsive crew, Australian authorities said Thursday, divulging new details about what they believe happened during the missing plane's final hours.

The information emerged as officials announced a southward shift, as expected, in the underwater search for the Boeing 777, which disappeared March 8 with 239 people on board.

Searchers have found no trace of the jetliner or its passengers, making the case probably the biggest mystery in aviation history and leaving the families of those on board bereft of answers.

The Australian officials said they believe the plane was on autopilot throughout its journey over the Indian Ocean until it ran out of fuel. They cited the straight track on which the aircraft flew, according to electronic "handshakes" it periodically exchanged with satellites.

New search area for Flight 370
New search area for Flight 370

    JUST WATCHED

    New search area for Flight 370

MUST WATCH

New search area for Flight 370 02:47
PLAY VIDEO
MH370 radar data may have been wrong
MH370 radar data may have been wrong

    JUST WATCHED

    MH370 radar data may have been wrong

MUST WATCH

MH370 radar data may have been wrong 02:48
PLAY VIDEO

"It is highly, highly likely that the aircraft was on autopilot, otherwise it could not have followed the orderly path that has been identified through the satellite sightings," Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told reporters in Canberra.

Unresponsive crew?

In a report explaining the change in search area, Australian authorities suggested that Flight 370's crew may have been in an "unresponsive" state, possibly caused by a lack of oxygen.

That scenario "appeared to best fit the available evidence for the final period of MH370's flight," the report said, citing previous air accidents in which crews had been rendered unresponsive by a lack of oxygen, also known as hypoxia.

But it cautioned that the assumption was "made for the purposes of defining a search area and there is no suggestion that the investigation authority will make similar assumptions."

The Australian officials declined to talk about the causes behind Flight 370's errant flight path, saying those are questions for the Malaysian authorities in charge of the overall investigation. And they said they weren't sure exactly when the autopilot had been turned on.

'Most likely place'

Their disclosure that a computer rather than a human was most likely steering the plane during its final hours adds a little more detail to the largely obscured picture of what took place that March night.

But the key questions of why the passenger jet flew dramatically off its intended route -- from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing -- and where exactly it ended up remain unanswered.

The next phase of the underwater search aims to resolve at least one of those issues.

Truss said an international team of experts had chosen the 60,000-square-kilometer zone, an area roughly the size of West Virginia, after going over all the available data.

"This site is the best available and most likely place where the aircraft is resting," he said.

He warned, though, that the operation to comb the sea floor in the area, which has never been fully mapped, would be "very challenging and complex."

"We could be fortunate and find it in the first hour, or the first day," he said. "But it could take another twelve months."

Biggest search in history

The hunt for the plane has already become "biggest search operation in history, covering 4.5 million square kilometers of ocean surface," Truss said.

During the early phase of the search, aircraft and ships scoured vast stretches of the surface of the southern Indian Ocean but found no debris from Flight 370.

Pings initially thought to be from the missing plane's flight recorders led to a concentrated underwater search that turned up nothing.

Last week, a group of independent experts -- using satellite data publicly released in May -- said it thought the missing aircraft was hundreds of miles southwest of the previous underwater search site.

Doubts among families

"It is encouraging that the Australian leadership has taken a very methodical and rigorous approach to redefining the search area, but is it still different than some of the other outside experts had defined," said Sarah Bajc, whose partner, Philip Wood, was on board the missing plane.

She said she couldn't reconcile the differences between the analyses.

"We don't trust that the officials are being forthright with the information," she said.

The next underwater search will be broadly in an area where planes and vessels had already looked for debris on the surface of the water, Truss said. It's roughly 1,800 kilometers off the coast of Western Australia.

Two ships have already started mapping the ocean floor of the area, a process that will take about three months.

The underwater search, which will rely on the ships' maps, is expected to begin in August. It will be led by a private contractor that Australian authorities will appoint.

Malaysia will contribute equipment to the search effort, including vessels and towed sonar systems, Truss said.

For families of the missing, a hole in the clouds, an empty space on earth

        Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

      • nr intv moni basu husbands quiet suffering flight 370_00020822.jpg

        An empty space on earth

        His wife never came home from her flight on MH370, and now K.S. Narendran is left to imagine the worst of possible truths without knowing.
      • This handout photo taken on April 7, 2014 and released on April 9, 2014 by Australian Defence shows Maritime Warfare Officer, Sub Lieutenant Ryan Penrose watching HMAS Success as HMAS Perth approaches for a replenishment at sea while searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean. Two fresh signals have been picked up Australian ship Ocean Shield in the search for missing Malaysian flight MH370, raising hopes that wreckage will be found within days even as black box batteries start to expire.

        Is this the sound of the crash?

        Was the sound of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 striking the water captured by ocean devices used to listen for signs of nuclear blasts?
      •  A crew member of a Royal New Zealand Airforce (RNZAF) P-3K2-Orion aircraft helps to look for objects during the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in flight over the Indian Ocean on April 13, 2014 off the coast of Perth, Australia. S

        Search back to square one

        What was believed to be the best hope of finding the missing plane is now being called a false hope. Rene Marsh explains.
      • Caption:A Chinese relative of passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 uses a lighter as she prays at the Metro Park Hotel in Beijing on April 8, 2014. The hunt for physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet crashed in the Indian Ocean more than three weeks ago has turned up nothing, despite a massive operation involving seven countries and repeated sightings of suspected debris. AFP PHOTO/WANG ZHAO (Photo credit should read WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Images)

        Bring in the lawyers

        Involved parties, including the manufacturer Boeing, are bracing for a long public relations siege.
      • The painstaking search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 got a vote of confidence Friday that the effort is headed in the right direction, but officials noted that much work remains.
Credit: 	CNN

        Pings likely not from Flight 370

        Official: The four acoustic pings at the center of the search for Flight 370 are no longer believed to have come from the plane's black boxes.
      • INDIAN OCEAN (April 14, 2014) -- Operators aboard ADF Ocean Shield move U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 into position for deployment, April 14. Using side scan sonar, the Bluefin will descend to a depth of between 4,000 and 4,500 meters, approximately 35 meters above the ocean floor. It will spend up to 16 hours at this depth collecting data, before potentially moving to other likely search areas. Joint Task Force 658 is currently supporting Operation Southern Indian Ocean, searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. (U.S. Navy video by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Peter D. Blair/RELEASED)

        Underwater search on hold

        The underwater search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will effectively be put on hold this week, and may not resume until August at the earliest.
      • Movie-makers say they have recruited leading Hollywood technicians to bring their experience to mid-air flight sequences.

        An MH370 movie already?

        Movie-makers in Cannes have announced they're making a thriller based on the disappearance of Malaysian flight MH370.
      • The story of the search

        The search for the missing Boeing 777 has gone on for eight weeks now. CNN's David Molko looks back at this difficult, emotional assignment.