Pele: Brazil to put 'problems' behind them and stage 'fantastic' World Cup

Story highlights

  • Pele confident Brazil will host a successful World Cup later this year
  • Mass protests and worries over infrastructure have blighted preparations
  • Football legend says players are blameless for these problems and should be supported
  • Believes Neymar will be better for having played with Barcelona

Brazilian legend Pele believes his country will rise above the problems which are blighting its preparations for football's global showpiece and put on a "fantastic" World Cup.

Demonstrations -- some violent -- have been taking place all over Brazil since last summer's Confederations Cup, raising concerns about security at the upcoming tournament.

They were originally organized to protest against increases in travel fares, but have since gone on to include demonstrations against staging the World Cup, corruption in government and a lack of social spending.

But Pele, who played in three winning Brazilian World Cup sides, is confident that once the competition -- which starts on June 12 -- begins these issues will become of secondary importance.

"We have had political problems," he told CNN. "But the World Cup is a big party and it will be fantastic."

Despite his status as a national hero, the 73-year-old Pele came under fire for his reported criticism of protests which flared up at last year's Confederations Cup and have continued on a sporadic basis ever since.

Neymar frustrated with Santos transfer
Neymar frustrated with Santos transfer

    JUST WATCHED

    Neymar frustrated with Santos transfer

MUST WATCH

Neymar frustrated with Santos transfer 04:10
PLAY VIDEO
Neymar: Protests must be peaceful
Neymar: Protests must be peaceful

    JUST WATCHED

    Neymar: Protests must be peaceful

MUST WATCH

Neymar: Protests must be peaceful 00:28
PLAY VIDEO
Test match held at Sao Paulo stadium
Test match held at Sao Paulo stadium

    JUST WATCHED

    Test match held at Sao Paulo stadium

MUST WATCH

Test match held at Sao Paulo stadium 01:08
PLAY VIDEO
Brazilian army patrolling Rio de Janeiro
Brazilian army patrolling Rio de Janeiro

    JUST WATCHED

    Brazilian army patrolling Rio de Janeiro

MUST WATCH

Brazilian army patrolling Rio de Janeiro 01:50
PLAY VIDEO

It also apparently put him at odds with the current idol of the Brazilian fans, Barcelona's Neymar, who said he was "inspired" by the mass mobilization, which has focused on poor quality public services while billions of dollars are being spent on the World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.

Pele was at pains to clarify his position.

"I agree with him (Neymar) -- we accept of course we want the best for our country in terms of schools and hospitals -- but the players have nothing to do with this or political corruption," he said.

"So it's wrong to boo the players like happened in the Confederations Cup, I repeat again they have nothing to do with corruption and the other problems.

"We need to separate these things because the players always show off the best side of Brazil, let's support them -- because this is a good moment for us."

Politics aside, Pele is hoping Neymar, who starred for his old club Santos before his big money move to Barcelona last summer, will benefit from playing in European club football to help Brazil a record sixth World Cup triumph.

" A lot of Brazilians were annoyed when Santos sold him to Barcelona," he said. "But for Neymar it was fantastic as he gets more experience at the highest level and this will help the national team."

Pele played a starring role in Brazil's triumphs in the finals of the 1958 and 1970 World Cups and is hoping the current team can take their own place in footballing history.

But he is wary about tipping them as winners - "football is a box of surprises," he said-- pointing to Argentina, Italy, Spain and Germany as their most dangerous challengers.

"But Brazilian football is still the best and most beautiful in the world," he added.

Read: Army occupies Rio shantytown

Read: Neymar unfazed by form

Read: Alves bites back

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.