Terry found guilty in racism case
September 28, 2012 -- Updated 0825 GMT (1625 HKT)
Chelsea's John Terry will be forced to miss four matches and pay a fine of $356,000 after being found guilty by the FA.
- England's Football Association's hand $356,000 fine and four-match ban
- Terry was cleared by London court last July of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand
- Former England captain charged by FA with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior
- Defender retired from international football after his position became 'untenable'
(CNN) -- Chelsea captain John Terry has been been hit with a four-match ban and a $356,000 fine after being found guilty of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.
The incident occurred during Chelsea's English Premier League game against London rivals Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road last October.
In July the 31-year-old had been found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
But the FA requires a lower burden of proof than an English court and after four-day hearing the Chelsea skipper was found guilty "with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior towards" Ferdinand.
Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist
Collymore on John Terry quitting
Football pioneer on racist abuse
'It's Not Black & White'
Racism remains "significant" problem in English football
The defender will be available for Chelsea's game against Arsenal on Saturday as the ban will not come into effect until the end of the appeal process.
This is the second high-profile case of racist abuse on the football field following the incident between Liverpool's Luis Suarez and Manchester United's Patrice Evra last year.
Suarez gave 'unreliable' evidence to racial abuse hearing, says FA report
The Liverpool striker was banned for eight matches and fined $65,000 after being found guilty of misconduct, regarding "using insulting words towards" Evra during the game at Anfield on October 15 2011.
Terry retires from England amid racism case
The verdict comes just days after Terry announced his retirement from international football.
The Chelsea defender, who won 78 caps for his country, captained England in two separate spells.
Terry claimed that the FA had made his position within the national team 'untenable'.
His representatives, Elite Management, said in a statement released on his behalf: "John Terry is disappointed that the FA Regulatory Commission has reached a different conclusion to the clear not guilty verdict of a court of law.
"He has asked for the detailed written reasons of the decision and will consider them carefully before deciding whether to lodge an appeal."
A statement from his club added: "Chelsea notes and respects today's decision by the Football Association regarding John Terry.
"We also recognise that John has the right to appeal that decision. It is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this time."
Sports lawyer Daniel Geey told CNN that Terry might have only got a four-game rather than eight-match as the Chelsea captain only used the phrase once rather than seven times as Suarez was found to have done by the FA.
Today's five most popular stories
Part of complete coverage on
October 28, 2014 -- Updated 1253 GMT (2053 HKT)
They splash the cash on the world's best players, now Real Madrid are giving the Bernabeu the same treatment with a bling makeover.
October 27, 2014 -- Updated 1309 GMT (2109 HKT)
Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
October 21, 2014 -- Updated 1348 GMT (2148 HKT)
From the ancient ruins of Rome, a new empire rises. But the eyes of the city's newest gladiator light up at thoughts of the Colosseum.
October 21, 2014 -- Updated 1622 GMT (0022 HKT)
Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
October 17, 2014 -- Updated 1411 GMT (2211 HKT)
One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
October 18, 2014 -- Updated 1819 GMT (0219 HKT)
Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
October 16, 2014 -- Updated 1247 GMT (2047 HKT)
After 10 years of golden glory, it's easy to see how Lionel Messi has taken his place among the football gods.
October 16, 2014 -- Updated 1034 GMT (1834 HKT)
When will the tears stop? A leading Italian football club is pursuing a new direction -- under the guidance of its new Indonesian owner.
October 13, 2014 -- Updated 2241 GMT (0641 HKT)
Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.
October 10, 2014 -- Updated 1310 GMT (2110 HKT)
After revolutionizing cricket with its glitzy Twenty20 league, India has now thrown large sums of money at a new football venture.
October 2, 2014 -- Updated 1453 GMT (2253 HKT)
Get ruthless. That is Rio Ferdinand's message to soccer's authorities in the fight to tackle the scourge of racism.
September 10, 2014 -- Updated 1328 GMT (2128 HKT)
He's just 15 and the world is seemingly already at his feet. Norway's Martin Odegaard is being sought by Europe's top clubs.